Remember back in January, I made a post called Carnivorous Plant Goals for 2015? It’s now three months later! Time to look back and see what goals I’ve met, what I still need to reach, and if any have changed priority at all!
- Pollinate flowers and (hopefully!) harvest some seeds. I haven’t done this yet. I collected pollen from my Judith Hindle x flava var. atropurpurea, which is now sitting in my fridge. The only flowers really available to pollinate are my “Hummer’s Hammerhead”. My “Godzuki” produced a flower too, but it honestly looks pretty wonky and I doubt it’s fertile. I haven’t seem any pollen drop from the anthers at all. Can anyone in the peanut gallery confirm or deny the sterility of S. x Godzuki? In any case, it’s been windy here lately and I’m not sure if I missed the ideal pollination window. But I will attempt pollination as soon as I’m able!
- Propagate seeds in the space bucket. Heck yes! Check out my recent post on my baby brontosauruses, I mean, Sarracenia seedlings. 3 of my 4 seed batches have germinated. I just recently started giving them doses of Maxsea fertilizer at half strength (half teaspoon in 1 gallon of water), and looking forward to watching their growth explode!
- Propagate leaf pullings from pinguicula. Another heck yes! I will have a more in-depth post about my pings soon, but I’ve had successful strikes from my P. ‘Sethos’ and P. esseriana plants. I also took pullings from my P. laueana which were not successful. I imagine they got too wet and rotted. I unfortunately lost a couple of pings to rot recently, due to heavy rain and not protecting them enough. 🙁 Always a bummer to lose plants, but I’m thrilled with seeing little plantlets!
- Acquire some new “higher end” clones. I’m getting there! Rob Co was awesome enough to offer me some S. “Reptilian Rose” divisions, and I of course said yes! They are small and still adjusting, so no photos quite yet! Of course, now all I can think about are Dionaea “DC XL” and “Werewolf” thanks to my recent adventure to California Carnivores!
- Do more sales/trades/giveaways. I’ve done TWO awesome giveaways this year with fantastic results! I’ve got a couple more exciting ones in the works for this year. As for sales? You may have noticed changes to a certain page here on the website. I’m working on some thangs behind the scenes and will reveal all in good time! Want to be the first to know about giveaways and sales? Click here to sign up for email updates!
- Shoot more video. This is one of the goals I’m moving to the bottom of my priority list. Still photography is what I know and what I do well, so I’m going to continue focusing on that. Right now I don’t have the desire or time to learn video shooting/editing. However you may see more short, amateur-hour-type video shot from my phone. Because I think I’m funny sometimes. People did seem to get a kick out of my recent Instagram vid!
- Make room for more plants! I haven’t yet made any changes to my growing space that would allow for a lot more plants. It’s primarily been shifting things around, squeezing other things together, and just making do with what I have. I haven’t been on any huge buying sprees in the last few months, plus I’m donating divisions here, selling a little there. It’s a delicate equilibrium right now!
- More in the store! Yes! I’ve added three new designs to the store this year and support has continued to be awesome! I’ve had requests for more products available like laptop skins, so I’ll be adding those very shortly as well! Remember to sign up for emails to be the first to know about all things going on here in Carnivore Girl Land!
I’m pretty happy I’ve been able to meet several goals on my list already! We’ll see how far I’ve come in three more months. 🙂
How are you doing on your goals for the year? Leave me a comment and let me know!